An individual’s fertility legacy can be lost through terminal illness, a fatal accident or unexpected death at any point. This makes it important to take proactive legal and practical measures to protect your or a loved one’s fertility and not leave matters to chance.
Posthumous conception law is complex in the UK. Consent to the use of an individual’s eggs, sperm or embryos comprising their gametes is governed by specific legal criteria under the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990.
We provide expert and bespoke legal advice and solutions to enable individuals to maximise and protect their own and a loved-one’s fertility. This can help safeguard biological legacy and future family building plans.
How we can help
Our legal services include:
- Bespoke legal advice on posthumous conception law in the UK
- Preparation of legal documentation
- Legal support and representation in court proceedings
We provide expert tailored legal advice and representation on posthumous conception and fertility law including:
Posthumous conception legal review
This provides initial expert legal advice to support people undertaking posthumous conception (assisted conception involving the eggs, sperm or embryos of a deceased person). It:
- Provides legal advice on posthumous conception law in the UK.
- Helps individuals give and manage informed legal (as opposed to medical) consent to treatment, storage and use of eggs, sperm and embryos on a posthumous basis (i.e. after death).
- Helps navigate complex personal and legal issues.
- Answers legal and practical questions.
Note: this consultation does not provide medical advice. It only provides initial specialist advice on posthumous conception and fertility law in the UK (and not law in other jurisdictions). It does not prepare legal documentation. Terms and conditions apply. For further legal advice and assistance consider our other legal packages and bespoke legal services.
If you require legal assistance or wish to discuss your situation please get in touch
+44 (0) 20 7965 8399
Bespoke legal services
We provide a range of bespoke legal services that align with your needs and wishes. Our legal expertise spans the medical, fertility and family law sectors, enabling us to provide cutting-edge legal solutions.
Well Known Cases
You can read more about Louisa Ghevaert’s leading expertise in posthumous conception in the UK:
- Y v A Healthcare NHS Trust & The HFEA & Z (by his litigation friend, The Official Solicitor)  EWCOP 18, a first-of-its kind judgment in which Louisa was part of the wife’s legal team and secured a unique legal ruling from the Court of Protection to extract and store sperm from a fatally injured man for use in posthumous fertility treatment and featured in The Independent (13 July 2018) and The Times (14 July 2018).
In the News
Apple podcast on Speak From The Body with Avni Touch entitled “Fertility law for modern families with Louisa Ghevaert” (26 February 2020).
“Why we need root and branch law reform” (BioNews 25 November 2019) and longer associated article “Why we need fertility law reform: the paradigm shift” (25 November 2019).
Emily Hartridge: Life you just can’t plan for it – (Fertility Road Magazine, 17 July 2019).
Rachael Bland’s fight to preserve her fertility is a battle fought by many modern women (Female First, 7 September 2018).
The significance of fertility: A landmark ruling on posthumous conception (BioNews, 3 September 2018).
Posthumous conception: a legacy in life, incapacity and death (Family Law Week, 20 August 2018).
You can read more in our News section.