Complex Children and Family Law
The creation of modern families and those built through assisted conception can raise a wide range of complex, unforeseen and unwanted legal and practical issues, including:
- Relationship issues with an existing or previous partner, known donor, co-parent or surrogate.
- Uncertainty about legal status of a new partner for a child.
- Lost or impaired fertility (illness, injury, medical negligence) thereby requiring fertility treatment, donor conception and surrogacy.
- Age, social, cultural, gender (including transgender and non-binary), medical and religious issues affecting family building and family life.
- International lifestyle legal and practical issues (e.g. international conflicts of law about legal status and rights of children, parents and families across different jurisdictions or following relocation).
- Issues arising from a direct-to-consumer DNA test (e.g. applications for a Declaration of Parentage, Orders for DNA testing, rectification of birth certificates and management of relationships with previously unknown genetic relations).
- Problems with consent to storage and use of eggs, sperm and embryos for posthumous conception following death of a loved one.
- Issues with consent to legal parenthood following fertility treatment at a UK fertility clinic (e.g. errors or loss of HFEA consent forms).
- Novel, unusual, high net worth and high profile personal situations affecting family building and family life (e.g. heightened confidentiality needs, additional VIP service levels, multi-disciplinary expertise requirements, need for cutting-edge legal solutions).
We provide expert specialist legal advice. We operate at the forefront of law, policy and practice , delivering innovative legal solutions to meet the needs of modern families and those with complex personal situations.
How we can help
Our legal services include:
- Legal packages
- Bespoke legal advice tailored to your situation, needs and wishes
- Preparation of legal documentation
- Legal support and representation in court proceedings
Complex personal or family situation - legal review
This provides initial tailored expert advice for those with complex personal, children and family issues. It can encompass a wide range of issues, including:
- Legal advice on family and fertility law in the UK and its application internationally.
- Legal advice on legal parentage and parental responsibility for a child under English law.
- Legal advice on a child’s upbringing and legal and practical implications arising in the UK.
- Legal advice on legal and biological identity, status, legacy and family narrative under English law.
- Identifies legal and practical risks and steps to mitigate these.
- Answers legal and practical questions.
- Creates a tailored legal and practical action plan.
This consultation does not provide medical advice. It only provides initial specialist advice on fertility and family law in the UK (and not law in other jurisdictions). It does not include preparation or review of legal documents or legal representation. Terms and conditions apply. For further legal advice and assistance consider our other legal packages and bespoke legal services.
If you require legal assistance or wish to discuss a complex children and family law matter contact us
+44 (0) 20 7965 8399
Bespoke legal services
We also provide further expert tailored legal advice and representation concerning complex children, fertility and family law issues under English law, including:
- Wardship order
- Declaration of parentage order
- An adoption order under English law
- An order recognising a foreign adoption under English law
- Parental responsibility order
- Child arrangements order
- A specific issue order
- A financial provision order
- Posthumous conception court order
- A parental order following international surrogacy
- Expert witness law service
- Cases or disputes involving DNA testing
- Transgender and non-binary fertility and family law