There are a number of ways to conceive and parent a child as a lesbian couple including: known donation (by private arrangement or at a fertility clinic), fertility treatment with a sperm bank donor, egg-swapping fertility treatment, co-parenting, adoption and fostering.
Family building choices can depend upon a range of factors, including: age, health, fertility levels, financial position and identity issues.
There are many legal issues to consider when building and legally securing a modern family as a lesbian couple in the UK, including:
- Family building options and law.
- Fertility preservation and maximisation options and law.
- Fertility treatment law.
- Co-parenting law (if you plan to co-parent a child with another person or couple).
- Surrogacy law (if you plan to conceive a child through surrogacy).
- Donation law (if you plan to conceive through known donation).
- Adoption and fostering law (if you plan to adopt or foster a child).
- Guardianship for a child (should you pass away or become incapacitated).
- Financial provision for a child.
- Legal parentage (including birth certificate arrangements).
- Care and upbringing of a child (including exercise of parental responsibility and dispute management with a co-parent, surrogate, former partner, known donor or other individual).
We can provide expert bespoke legal solutions and a range of flexible legal services to suit your needs and wishes. We can work with you from pre-conception, during pregnancy and throughout parenthood to create your much wanted family and place family life on a firm legal basis.